Sunday, September 08, 2013

Awareness during seep

Nisargadatta Maharaj
Questioner: What do you do when asleep?

Maharaj: I am aware of being asleep.

Q: Is not sleep a state of unconsciousness? M: Yes, I am aware of being unconscious.

Q: And when awake, or dreaming?

 M: I am aware of being awake or dreaming.

Q: I do not catch you. What exactly do you mean? Let me make my terms clear: by being asleep I mean unconscious, by being awake I mean conscious, by dreaming I mean conscious of one’s mind, but not of the surroundings.

 M: Well, it is about the same with me, Yet, there seems to be a difference. In each state you forget the other two, while to me, there is but one state of being, including and transcending the three mental states of waking, dreaming and sleeping.

From: https://www.facebook.com/RamanaHridayam

No comments: